. Prague is the capital and largest city of the Czech Republic.It is the fourteenth largest city in the European Union.It is also the historical capital of Bohemia.Situated in the north west of the country on the Vltava River, the city is home to about 1.24 million people, while its larger urban zone is estimated to have a population of nearly 2 million.The city has a temperate climate, with warm summers and chilly winters.Prague has been a political, cultural, and economic centre of central Europe with waxing and waning fortunes during its 1,100 year existence.Founded during the Romanesque and flourishing by the Gothic and Renaissance eras, Prague was not only the capital of the Czech state, but also the seat of two Holy Roman Emperors and thus also the capital of the Holy Roman Empire.It was an important city to the Habsburg Monarchy and its Austro Hungarian Empire and after World War I became the capital of Czechoslovakia.The city played major roles in the Protestant Reformation, the Thirty Year War, and in 20th century history, during both World Wars and the post war Communist era.Prague is home to a number of famous cultural attractions, many of which survived the violence and destruction of 20th century Europe.Main attractions include the Prague Castle, the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, the Jewish Quarter, the Lennon Wall and Petrin hill.Since 1992, the extensive historic centre of Prague has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
. The Charles Bridge is a famous historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic.Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15th century.The bridge replaced the old Judith Bridge built 1158 1172 that had been badly damaged by a flood in 1342.This new bridge was originally called the Stone Bridge (Kamenny most) or the Prague Bridge (Prazsky most) but has been the Charles Bridge since 1870.As the only means of crossing the river Vltava (Moldau) until 1841, the Charles Bridge was the most important connection between Prague Castle and the city Old Town and adjacent areas.This solid land connection made Prague important as a trade route between Eastern and Western Europe.
Old Town Square
. Old Town Square is a historic square in the Old Town quarter of Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic.It is located between Wenceslas Square and the Charles Bridge and features various architectural styles including the Gothic Tyn Church and baroque St.Nicholas Church.Among many churches, tourists may find the Prague Astronomical Clock on this square, while the tower at the Old Town Hall offers a panoramic view of Old Town shop.An art museum of the Czech National Gallery is located in Kinsky Palace.The square center is home to a statue of religious reformer Jan Hus, who for his beliefs was burned at the stake in Constance.The statue known as the Jan Hus Memorial was erected on July 6, 1915 to mark the 500th anniversary of his death.The square is also home to a memorial to martyrs (including Jan Jesenius and Maxmilin Hostlek) beheaded on that spot during the Old Town Square execution after the Battle of White Mountain.Twenty seven crosses mark the pavement in their honour.While the installation date of these crosses is uncertain, a nearby plaque which lists the names of all 27 victims dates from 1911.
Prague astronomical clock
. The Prague astronomical clock, or Prague orloj, is a medieval astronomical clock located in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic.The clock was first installed in 1410, making it the third oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest one still working.The Orloj is mounted on the southern wall of Old Town City Hall in the Old Town Square.The clock mechanism itself is composed of three main components the astronomical dial, representing the position of the Sun and Moon in the sky and displaying various astronomical details The Walk of the Apostles, a clockwork hourly show of figures of the Apostles and other moving sculptures notably a figure of Death (represented by a skeleton) striking the time and a calendar dial with medallions representing the months.According to local legend, the city will suffer if the clock is neglected and its good operation is placed in jeopardy and a skeleton, mounted on the clock, was supposed nod his head in confirmation.Based on the legend, the only hope was represented by a boy born in the New Year night.
St Vitus Cathedral
. The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saints Vitus, Wenceslaus and Adalbert is a Roman Catholic metropolitan cathedral in Prague, the seat of the Archbishop of Prague.Up to 1997, the cathedral was dedicated only to Saint Vitus, and is still commonly named only as St.Vitus Cathedral.This cathedral is an excellent example of Gothic architecture and is the biggest and most important church in the country.Located within Prague Castle and containing the tombs of many Bohemian kings and Holy Roman Emperors, the cathedral is under the ownership of the Czech government as part of the Prague Castle complex.Cathedral dimensions are 124 ? 60 meters, the main tower is 96.5 meters high, front towers 82 m, arch height 33.2 m.
. Municipal House (Czech Obecni dum) is a civic building that houses Smetana Hall, a celebrate concert venue, in Prague, Czech Republic.Its address is Nmesti Republiky 5, next to the Powder Gate in the center of the city.The building is of the Art Nouveau architecture style.The building exterior has allegorical art and stucco.There is a mosaic called Homage to Prague by Karel spillar over the entrance.On either side are allegorical sculpture groups representing The Degradation of the People and The Resurrection of the People by Ladislav saloun.Smetana Hall serves as a concert hall and ballroom.It has a glass dome.There is artwork by Alfons Mucha, Jan Preisler and Max svabinsky, too.
. Petrin (327 m) is a hill in the center of Prague, Czech Republic.It rises some 130 m above the left bank of the Vltava River.The hill, almost entirely covered with parks, is a favorite recreational area for the inhabitants of Prague.The hill (in German known as Laurenziberg) is featured prominently in Franz Kafka early short story Description of a Struggle and briefly in Milan Kundera novel The Unbearable Lightness of Being.The summit of the hill is linked to Prague Mal Strana district by the Petrin funicular, a funicular railway that first operated in 1891.
. Prague Castle (Czech Prazsky hrad) is the official residence and office of the President of the Czech Republic.Located in the Hradcany district of Prague and dating back to the ninth century, the castle has been a seat of power for kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman emperors, and presidents of Czechoslovakia.The Bohemian Crown Jewels are kept within a hidden room inside it.The Guinness Book of Records lists Prague Castle as the largest ancient castle in the world.It occupies an area of almost 70,000 m2, at about 570 meters in length and an average of about 130 meters wide.
. Vysehrad (Czech for upper castle) is a historical fort located in the city of Prague, Czech Republic.It was probably built in the 10th century, on a hill over the Vltava River.Situated within the castle is the Basilica of St Peter and St Paul, as well as the Vysehrad Cemetery, containing the remains of many famous people from Czech history, among them Antonin Dvork, Bedrich Smetana, Karel capek, and Alphonse Mucha.It also contains Prague oldest surviving building, the Rotunda of St Martin from the 11th century.Local legend holds that Vysehrad was the location of the last settlement which later became Prague, though thus far this claim remains unsubstantiated.
Church of Our Lady before Tyn
. The Church of Mother of God in front of Tyn (in Czech Kostel Matky Bozi pred Tynem, also Tynsky chrm (Tyn Church) or just Tyn), often translated as Church of Our Lady in front of Tyn, is a dominant feature of the Old Town of Prague, Czech Republic, and has been the main church of this part of the city since the 14th century.The church towers are 80 m high and topped by four small spires.
. Josefov (also Jewish quarter German Josefstadt) is a town quarter and the smallest cadastral area of Prague, Czech Republic, formerly the Jewish ghetto of the town.It is completely surrounded by Old Town.The quarter is often represented by the flag of Prague Jewish community, a yellow Magen David (Star of David) on a red field.
. The Spanish Synagogue is a Moorish Revival synagogue built in Prague in 1868 to the design of Vojtech Igntz Ullmann.The facade copies the form of the Leopoldstadter Tempel, built in Vienna, Austria, in 1853, a tripartite facade with a tall central section flanked by lower wings on each side.As in Vienna, the central section is topped by a pair of domed turrets.The synagogue is most remarkable for the elaborate style of the interior, every surface is covered by elaborate Islamic style polychrome and gilded patterns, some painted and some carved or molded.During the Second World War, the Germans used the building as a repository for property taken from the Jews.The building underwent a restoration in the late 1990s.
Prague National Theatre
. The National Theatre (Czech Nrodni divadlo) in Prague is known as the alma mater of Czech opera, and as the national monument of Czech history and art.The National Theatre belongs to the most important Czech cultural institutions, with a rich artistic tradition which was created and maintained by the most distinguished personalities in Czech society.This tradition helped to preserve and develop the most important features of the nationthe Czech language and a sense for a Czech musical and dramatic way of thinking.Today the National Theatre consists of three artistic ensemblesopera, ballet and dramawhich alternate in their performances in the historic building of the National Theatre, in the Theatre of the Estates and in the Kolowrat Theatre.All three artistic ensembles select their repertoire not only from the rich classical heritage, but in addition to local authors they focus their attention on modern world output.
Prague National Gallery
. The National Gallery in Prague (Czech Nrodni galerie v Praze) is a state owned art gallery in Prague, which manages the largest collection of art in the Czech Republic.The collections of the gallery are not housed in a single building, but are presented in a number of historic structures within the city of Prague, as well as other places.The largest of the gallery sites is the Veletrzni Palc, which houses the National Gallery collection of modern art.
. The Estates Theatre or Stavovske divadlo is a historic theatre in Prague, Czech Republic.The Estates Theatre was annexed to the National Theatre in 1948 and currently draws on three artistic ensembles, opera, ballet, and drama, which perform at the Estates Theatre, the National Theatre (Nrodni divadlo), and the Kolowrat Theatre.
. Kampa (also Na Kampe) is an island in the Vltava river in central Prague on the side of Mal Strana.Charles Bridge crosses its northern tip and is connected to the island by the street Ulice na Kampe.It is separated from Mal Strana by a narrow artificial channel to the west called the Devil Stream (certovka), a waterway dug to power water mills (no longer existent).It is supposedly named after a sharp tongued woman who lived in a local home called the Seven Devils. The area was named in the 17th century as the campus (field) by Spanish soldiers who tented here during the Battle of White Mountain.
. The Dancing House (Czech Tancici dum), or Fred and Ginger, is the nickname given to the Nationale Nederlanden building on the Rasinovo nbrezi (Rasin Embankment) in Prague, Czech Republic.It was designed by the Croatian Czech architect Vlado Milunic in cooperation with Canadian American architect Frank Gehry on a vacant riverfront plot.The building was designed in 1992 and completed in 1996.The very non traditional design was controversial at the time because the house stands out among the Baroque, Gothic and Art Nouveau buildings for which Prague is famous, and in the opinion of some it does not accord well with these architectural styles.The then Czech president, Vclav Havel, who lived for decades next to the site, had avidly supported this project, hoping that the building would become a center of cultural activity.
. The National museum (Czech Nrodni muzeum) is a Czech museum institution intended to systematically establish, prepare and publicly exhibit natural scientific and historical collections.It was founded 1818 in Prague by Kaspar Maria sternberg.Historian Frantisek Palacky was also strongly involved.At present the National Museum houses almost 14 million items from the area of natural history, history, arts, music and librarianship, located in tens of buildings.
. Prague Zoo is a zoo in Prague, Czech Republic.It was opened in 1931 with the goal to advance the study of zoology, protect wildlife, and educate the public in the district of Troja in the north of Prague.In 2012, the zoo occupied 58 hectares (143 acres) and housed about 4,800 animals that represented more than 690 species, including 133 species listed as critically endangered.Prague Zoological Garden has contributed significantly to saving Przewalski horse.For many years it was the biggest breeder of the species in the world.In 2007 Forbes Traveler Magazine listed Prague ZOO as the 7th best Zoo in the world in 2014 TripAdvisor listed it as the 7th best zoo in the world according to the reviews of its users in the last 12 months.
Petrin Lookout Tower
. The Petrin Lookout Tower (Czech Petrinsk rozhledna) is a 63.5 metre high steel framework tower in Prague, which strongly resembles the Eiffel Tower.Although it is much shorter than the Eiffel Tower, it stands atop a sizable hill, Petrin, so the top is at a higher altitude than that of the Eiffel Tower.The Petrinsk rozhledna was built in 1891 and was used as an observation tower as well as a transmission tower.Today the Petrinsk rozhledna is a major tourist attraction.The hill is roughly a half hour walk up paths that get quite slippery when it snows, and the tower is a shorter but fairly tiring climb however, the hill is served by a frequent funicular and the tower has an elevator for disabled persons.The two observation platforms are accessible via 299 stairs in sections of 13 per stage running around the inside of the structure.There is a gift shop and a small cafeteria on the main level.On the lowest level is a small exhibition area.Current exhibition displays Merkur Observation Towers and is held from 6 March 2013 to 30 March 2014.
. Golden Lane (in Czech Zlat ulicka) is a street situated at the Prague Castle, Czech Republic.Its name is connected with 16th century alchemists, who had to look there, according to legends, for a reaction to produce gold.Even though the lane was temporarily called the Street of Alchemists or Alchemist Alley, alchemists have never worked or lived there.Golden Lane consist of tiny colored houses.Today it is a part of small and big castle ring (i.e.entrance is available for paying a fee), while from the closing hour of Prague Castle interiors it is open for free.Nowadays there are many souvenir shops in the houses and there is a medieval museum of armory within the former 14th century fortification accessible from the Golden Lane.House no.22 is connected with Franz Kafka, Czech Jewish writer, who used this house for approximately two years coming here to write in peace.
. Strahov Monastery (Czech Strahovsky klster) is a Premonstratensian abbey founded in 1143 by Bishop Jindrich Zdik, Bishop John of Prague, and Duke Vladislav II.It is located in Strahov, Prague, Czech Republic.The religious began to build their monastery first of wood, as well as a Romanesque basilica as the center of all spiritual events in Strahov.The building was gradually completed and the construction of the monastery stone buildings continued in order to replace the provisional wooden living quarters with permanent stone.In 1258 the monastery was heavily damaged by fire and later renewed.
Old New Synagogue
. The Old New Synagogue (Czech Staronov synagoga German Altneu Synagoge) situated in Josefov, Prague, is Europe oldest active synagogue.(The Scolanova Synagogue in Italy, also 13th century, was converted to a church by 1380 but was restored to synagogue use in 2006.) It is also the oldest surviving medieval synagogue of twin nave design.Completed in 1270 in gothic style, it was one of Prague first gothic buildings.A still older Prague synagogue, known as the Old Synagogue, was demolished in 1867 and replaced by the Spanish Synagogue.
Old Jewish Cemetery
. The Old Jewish Cemetery (Czech Stary zidovsky hrbitov, German Alter J
Church of the Virgin Mary
. The Church of the Virgin Mary was the first known church built in the current area of the Prague Castle.The structure was built by Prince Borivoj I after 884, making it not only the oldest church in Prague Castle but also the second oldest in Bohemia.The church was rebuilt after a fire in the 11th century, but was eventually destroyed again in the 13th century and not rebuilt it is known today due to excavations directly under extant administrative buildings.The surviving foundations indicate a rectangular nave and a semicircular apse archaeological surveys uncovered tombs for members of the royal Premyslid dynasty which was prominent in Bohemia during the early Christian era.
. Prague 2, formally the Prague 2 Municipal District (Mestsk cast Praha 2), is a second tier municipality in Prague.It is co extensive with the national administrative district (sprvni obvod) of the same name.As of the end of 2004, 48,918 people lived in 34,689 homes in the district.At 4.19 km2 (1,035 acres), Prague 2 is the smallest administrative district in the country.The district includes all of Vysehrad and parts of Vinohrady, New Town and Nusle.The district has remained intact since its creation in 1960.
. The State Opera (Czech Sttni opera), is an opera house in Prague, Czech Republic.It is part of the National Theatre of the Czech Republic, founded by Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic in 1992.The theatre itself originally opened in 1888 as the New German Theatre and from 1949 to 1989 it was known as the Smetana Theatre.More recently it was known as the Prague State Opera.
Church of Our Lady Victorious
. The Church of Our Lady Victorious (Kostel Panny Marie Vitezne) in Mal Strana, the Lesser Quarter of Prague is a church governed and administered by the Discalced Carmelites, and home of the famous Child Jesus statue called the Infant Jesus of Prague.A chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity was built on this site in 1584, following Rudolph II Letter of Majesty a larger church for German Protestants.With the Battle of White Mountain, 8 November 1620, the Counter Reformation signalled the re Catholicism of Prague.The church was given to the direction of the Carmelites in September 1624.The triumphalist altarpiece of Our Lady of Victory was sent from Rome by Pope Gregory XV.The Carmelites were ordered to hand over the church to Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor, 3 June 1784.On 26 September 2009 Pope Benedict XVI declared the church and the Infant Jesus the first station on the Apostolic Road in the Czech Republic.The Pontiff also donated a gold crown, decorated with eight shells, pearls, and garnet gemstones to the Infant Jesus of Prague, which the statue dons today.
. Loreta is a large pilgrimage destination in Hradcany, a district of Prague, Czech Republic.It consists of a cloister, the church of the Lord Birth, a Holy Hut and the clock tower with a famous chime.The construction had started in 1626 and the Holy Hut was blessed on March 25, 1631.The architect was the Italian Giovanni Orsi the project was financed by a noblewoman of the Lobkowicz family.The Face wall in Baroque style was designed by the architects Christoph Dientzenhofer and Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer and added at the beginning of the 18th century.The chapel is most known for its peal, heard since August 15, 1695.It was constructed during 1694 by watchmaker Peter Neumann from thirty smaller and larger bells.Today the building also hosts large collection of liturgical tools, mainly monstrances.Exhibitions are occasionally held on the first floor of the cloister.
. The Lennon Wall or John Lennon Wall, is a wall in Prague, Czech Republic.Once a normal wall, since the 1980s it has been filled with John Lennon inspired graffiti and pieces of lyrics from Beatle songs.In 1988, the wall was a source of irritation for the communist regime of Gustv Husk.Young Czechs would write grievances on the wall and in a report of the time this led to a clash between hundreds of students and security police on the nearby Charles Bridge.The movement these students followed was described ironically as Lennonism and Czech authorities described these people variously as alcoholics, mentally deranged, sociopathic, and agents of Western capitalism.The wall continuously undergoes change and the original portrait of Lennon is long lost under layers of new paint.Even when the wall was repainted by some authorities, on the second day it was again full of poems and flowers.Today, the wall represents a symbol of global ideals such as love and peace.
. The Rudolfinum is a music auditorium in Prague, Czech Republic.It is designed in the neo renaissance style and is situated on Jan Palach Square on the bank of the river Vltava.The Rudolfinum has been the home of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra since 1946 and is one of the main venues of the Prague Spring International Music Festival held each year in May and June.The building was designed by architect Josef Zitek and his student Josef Schulz, and was opened 8 February 1885.It is named in honour of Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, who presided over the opening.The Rudolfinum Dvork Hall is one of the oldest concert halls in Europe and is noted for its excellent acoustics.On 4 January 1896 Antonin Dvork himself conducted the Czech Philharmonic in the hall in its first ever concert.
. Prague 4, formally the Prague 4 Municipal District (Mestsk cast Praha 4), is a second tier municipality in Prague.The administrative district (sprvni obvod) of the same name constists of municipal districts Prague 4 and Kunratice.Prague 4 is located just south of Prague 2 and is the biggest municipality in Prague.Most of this district consists of large estates of panelaks.The district is also well connected to the motorway to Brno.
Infant Jesus of Prague
. The Infant Jesus of Prague (Czech Prazske Jezultko Spanish Ni
. Letn Park (in Czech Letenske sady) is a large park on Letn hill, built on a plateau above steep embankments along the Vltava River in Prague, Czech Republic.Letn elevation and location afford commanding views of the Prague Old Town (Stare Mesto).
House of the Black Madonna
. The House of the Black Madonna is a cubist building in the Old Town area of Prague, Czech Republic.It was designed by Josef Gocr.It is currently in use as the Czech Museum of Cubism and includes the Grand Cafe Orient restaurant on the first floor.The House of the Black Mother (U cerne Matky Bozi), sometimes referred to as Black Mother of the Lord, was designed and built between 1911 and 1912 on the corner of Celetn Street and Ovocny trh.Josef Gocr built the house as the first example of cubist architecture in Prague, and it remains probably the most celebrated.Even without historical details of the baroque building surrounding it, the House at the Black Madonna maintains the atmosphere of the neighborhood.The house was given its name by the stone sculpture that originally adorned one of the two Baroque buildings on the same lot.After many years altered use in the interwar period and under communist rule, the house was closed in January 2002 and re opened after extensive restoration in November 2003.