. The name of the city is derived from the Old High German term Munichen, meaning by the monks.It derives from the monks of the Benedictine order who ran a monastery at the place that was later to become the Old Town of Munich hence the monk depicted on the city coat of arms.Munich was first mentioned in 1158.From 1255 the city was seat of the Bavarian Dukes.Black and gold the colours of the Holy Roman Empire have been the city official colours since the time of Ludwig the Bavarian, when it was an imperial residence.Following a final reunification of the Wittelsbachian Duchy of Bavaria, previously divided and sub divided for more than 200 years, the town became the country sole capital in 1506.Catholic Munich was a cultural stronghold of the Counter Reformation and a political point of divergence during the resulting Thirty Years War, but remained physically untouched despite an occupation by the Protestant Swedes as the townsfolk would rather open the gates of their town than risk siege and almost inevitable destruction.
. Oktoberfest is the world largest funfair held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.It is a 16 day festival running from late September to the first weekend in October with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year.Locally, it is often simply called Wiesn, after the colloquial name of the fairgrounds (Theresienwiese) themselves.The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since 1810.Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the original Munich event.The Munich Oktoberfest originally took place during the 16 days up to, and including, the first Sunday in October.In 1994, the schedule was modified in response to German reunification so that if the first Sunday in October falls on the 1st or 2nd, then the festival would go on until October 3 (German Unity Day).Thus, the festival is now 17 days when the first Sunday is October 2 and 18 days when it is October 1.In 2010, the festival lasted until the first Monday in October, to mark the anniversary of the event.
. The Nymphenburg Palace (German Schloss Nymphenburg), i.e., Castle of the Nymph (or Nymphs), is a Baroque palace in Munich, Bavaria, southern Germany.The palace is the main summer residence of the former rulers of Bavaria of the House of Wittelsbach.The palace, together with its park, is now one of the most famous sights of Munich.The baroque facades comprise an overall width of about 700 metres.Some rooms still show their original baroque decoration while others were later redesigned in rococo or neoclassical style.
. The Englischer Garten, German for English Garden, is a large public park in the centre of Munich, Bavaria, stretching from the city centre to the northeastern city limits.It was created in 1789 by Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753 1814), later Count Rumford (Reichsgraf von Rumford) and extended and improved by his successors, Reinhard von Werneck (1757 1842) and Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell (1750 1823), who had advised on the project from the beginning.With an area of 3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi) (370 ha or 910 acres), the Englischer Garten is one of the world largest urban public parks, larger than New York Central Park.The name refers to the style of gardening the term English garden is used outside the English speaking world to refer to the style of informal landscape gardening which was popular in Britain from the mid 18th century to the early 19th century, and is particularly associated with Capability Brown.
. The Munich Residenz (Munchner Residenz, Munich Residence) is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs of the House of Wittelsbach in the centre of the city of Munich, Germany.The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is today open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections.The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and displays 130 rooms.The three main parts are the Konigsbau (near the Max Joseph Platz), the Alte Residenz (Old Residenz towards the Residenzstrabe) and the Festsaalbau (towards the Hofgarten).A wing of the Festsaalbau contains the Cuvillies Theatre since the reconstruction of the Residenz after World War II.It also houses the Herkulessaal (Hercules Hall), the primary concert venue for the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.The Byzantine Court Church of All Saints (Allerheiligen Hofkirche) at the east side is facing the Marstall, the building for the former Court Riding School and the royal stables.
. In the Middle Ages markets and tournaments were held in this city square.Marienplatz was named after the Mariensaule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation.Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side.The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments, and draws millions of tourists a year.At the east side Munich Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located.It a gothic council hall and ballroom and tower, which have been reconstructed.The pedestrian zone between Karlsplatz and Marienplatz is a crowded area with numerous shops and restaurants.The Marienplatz S Bahn and U Bahn station, an important transportation hub, is located below the square.
. The Deutsches Museum (which means German Museum) (German Deutsches Museum or Das Deutsche Museum) in Munich, Germany, is the world largest museum of science and technology, with approximately 1.5 million visitors per year and about 28,000 exhibited objects from 50 fields of science and technology.The museum was founded on June 28, 1903, at a meeting of the Association of German Engineers (VDI) as an initiative of Oskar von Miller.Its official name is Deutsches Museum von Meisterwerken der Naturwissenschaft und Technik (English German Museum of Masterpieces of Science and Technology).It is the largest museum in Munich.
. BMW Welt (English BMW World), is a multi functional customer experience and exhibition facility of the BMW AG, located in Munich, Germany.In direct proximity to the BMW Headquarters and the Olympiapark, it is designed to present the current products of BMW, be a distribution center for BMW cars, and offer an event forum and a conference center.BMW Welt focuses on strengthening the dialogue with customers and visitors by showing a wide range of BMW cars and motorcycles, and providing vehicle distribution, particularly the creation of a special experience with regards to customer collection of an ordered vehicle.BMW Welt also offers shops with BMW auxiliary products.
. The Olympiapark in Munich, Germany, is an Olympic Park which was constructed for the 1972 Summer Olympics.Found in the area of Munich known as the Oberwiesenfeld (upper meadow field), the Park continues to serve as a venue for cultural, social, and religious events such as events of worship.The Park is administered by Olympiapark Munchen GmbH, a holding company fully owned by the state capital of Munich.
New Town Hall
. The New Town Hall (German Neues Rathaus) is a town hall at the northern part of Marienplatz in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.It hosts the city government including the city council, offices of the mayors and part of the administration.In 1874 the municipality had left the Old Town Hall for its new domicile.The main facade is placed toward the plaza, while the back side is adjacent to a small park (Marienhof).The basement is almost completely occupied by a large restaurant called Ratskeller.On the ground floor, some rooms are rented for small businesses.Also located in the ground floor is the major official tourist information.
. Neuschwanstein Castle (German Schloss Neuschwanstein, pronounced is a nineteenth century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Fussen in southwest Bavaria, Germany.The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as an homage to Richard Wagner.Ludwig paid for the palace out of his personal fortune and by means of extensive borrowing, rather than Bavarian public funds.The palace was intended as a personal refuge for the reclusive king, but it was opened to the paying public immediately after his death in 1886.Since then more than 61 million people have visited Neuschwanstein Castle.More than 1.3 million people visit annually, with as many as 6,000 per day in the summer.The palace has appeared prominently in several movies and was the inspiration for Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle and later, similar structures.
. The Neue Pinakothek (New Pinakothek) is an art museum in Munich, Germany.Its focus is European Art of the 18th and 19th century and is one of the most important museums of art of the nineteenth century in the world.Together with the Alte Pinakothek and the Pinakothek der Moderne it is part of Munich Kunstareal (the art area).The museum was founded by the former King Ludwig I of Bavaria in 1853.The original building constructed by Friedrich von Gartner and August von Voit was destroyed during World War II.The ruin of the Neue Pinakothek was demolished in 1949.Designed by architect Alexander Freiherr von Branca the new postmodern building with features such as arched windows, keystones, bay windows and stairways, opened in 1981.It combines a concrete construction with a stone facade design.
. The Allianz Arena is a football stadium in Munich, Bavaria, Germany with a 75,024 seating capacity.Widely known for its exterior of inflated ETFE plastic panels, it is the first stadium in the world with a full color changing color exterior.Located at 25 Werner Heisenberg Allee at the northern edge of Munich Schwabing Freimann borough on the Frottmaning Heath, it is the third largest arena in Germany behind Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund and the Olympiastadion in Berlin.
. The Frauenkirche (full name Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau, Cathedral of Our Dear Lady) is a church in the Bavarian city of Munich that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop.It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city.The church towers are widely visible because of local height limits.According to the narrow outcome of a local plebiscite, city administration prohibits buildings with a height exceeding 99 m in the city center.Since November 2004, this prohibition has been provisionally extended outward and as a result, no buildings may be built in the city over the aforementioned height.The south tower is open to those wishing to climb the stairs and offers a unique view of Munich and the nearby Alps.
Hofbrauhaus am Platzl
. The Staatliches Hofbrauhaus in Munchen (public Royal Brewery in Munich, also Hofbrau Munchen) is a brewery in Munich, Germany, owned by the Bavarian state government.The Hof (court) comes from the brewery history as a royal brewery in the Kingdom of Bavaria.The brewery owns the Hofbrauhaus am Platzl, the Hofbraukeller and one of the largest tents at the Oktoberfest (Hofbrau Festzelt).There are many types of beer brewed using original recipes handed down by Wilhelm V, the Duke of Bavaria.The current beers produced include a wheat beer and Helles, Maibock, Dunkel and Oktoberfest lagers.The Hofbrauhaus in Munich inspired the song oans, zwoa, g uffa (The Bavarian dialect for one, two, down the hatch).
. The Theatine Church of St.Cajetan (German Theatinerkirche St.Kajetan) is a Catholic church in Munich, southern Germany.Built from 1663 to 1690, it was founded by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, as a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long awaited heir to the Bavarian crown, Prince Max Emanuel, in 1662.The church was built in Italian high Baroque style, inspired by Sant'Andrea della Valle in Rome, designed by the Italian architect Agostino Barelli.His successor, Enrico Zuccalli, added two 66 meters high towers, originally not planned, and then finished the 71 meters high dome in 1690.The church is 72 meters long and 15.5 meters wide.The facade in Rococo style was completed only in 1768 by Francois de Cuvillies.Its Mediterranean appearance and yellow coloring became a well known symbol for the city and had much influence on Southern German Baroque architecture.
. Hellabrunn Zoo (or Tierpark Hellabrunn in German) is a 36 hectare (89 acre) zoological garden in the Bavarian capital of Munich.The zoo is situated on the right bank of the river Isar, in the southern part of Munich near the quarter of Thalkirchen.As the groundwater level here is rather high and the water is of very good quality, the zoo can cover its needs for freshwater by using its own wells.A high ratio of enclosures are cageless, relying upon moat features to keep the animals in place.The zoo was the first zoo in the world not organized by species, but also by geographical aspects.For example the wood bisons share their enclosure with prairie dogs.In some places, the zoo has food dispensers where, for a small cost, the correct food for the species may be thrown by the public.This reduces the risk of animals being fed inappropriate foodstuffs.In 2013, the zoo was ranked 4th best zoo in Europe (up from 12th).It focuses on conservation and captive breeding rare species such as the rare drill and silvery gibbon monkeys.Also gorillas, giraffes, elephants, wood bisons, elk and arctic foxes were successfully bred in the zoo, which houses a large number of species.It is one of the very few zoos that allows visitors to bring dogs.
. The Rathaus Glockenspiel of Munich is a tourist attraction in Marienplatz, the heart of Munich.Part of the second construction phase of the New Town Hall, it dates from 1908.Every day at 11 a.m.It chimes and re enacts two stories from the 16th century to the amusement of mass crowds of tourists and locals.It consists of 43 bells and 32 life sized figures.The top half of the Glockenspiel tells the story of the marriage of the local Duke Wilhelm V (who also founded the world famous Hofbrauhaus) to Renata of Lorraine.In honour of the happy couple there is a joust with life sized knights on horseback representing Bavaria (in white and blue) and Lothringen (in red and white).The Bavarian knight wins every time, of course.This is then followed by the bottom half and second story Schafflertanz (the coopers dance).According to myth, 1517 was a year of plague in Munich.The coopers are said to have danced through the streets to bring fresh vitality to fearful dispositions.The coopers remained loyal to the duke, and their dance came to symbolize perseverance and loyalty to authority through difficult times.By tradition, the dance is performed in Munich every seven years.This was described in 1700 as an age old custom, but the current dance was defined only in 1871.The dance can be seen during Fasching (German Carnival) the next one is in 2019.The whole show lasts somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes long depending on which tune it plays that day.At the very end of the show, a very small golden rooster at the top of the Glockenspiel chirps quietly three times, marking the end of the spectacle.
Old Town Hall
. The Old Town Hall (German Altes Rathaus), until 1874 the domicile of the municipality, serves today as a building for representative purposes for the city council in Munich.The Old Town Hall bounds the central square Marienplatz on its east side.The building, documented for the first time in 1310, had its Grand Hall (Grober Saal) constructed in 1392/1394.The former Talburg Gate (Talburgtor) of the first city wall serves as spire.The Old Town Hall was re designed in late gothic style by Jorg von Halsbach 1470 1480.The Grand Hall was decorated by the Morris dancers, created by Erasmus Grasser.After alterations of the facade during the Renaissance and again in the Baroque the building was restored in neo gothic style 1861 1864.In 1874 the municipality moved to the New Town Hall.For the passage of increased road traffic the Old Town Hall was tunneled in 1877 with a drive through and a separate pedestrian passage, as well as once again in 1934/35, this time finally destroying the original ground floor.During World War II the building was severely damaged and the spire was reconstructed in 1971 1974.Parts of the neo Gothic elements, especially the statues of Ludwig the Bavarian (west facade) and Henry the Lion (east facade) and the gable design are preserved.
Pinakothek der Moderne
. The Pinakothek der Moderne is a modern art museum, situated in the city centre of Munich, Germany.Together with its two predecessors Alte Pinakothek and Neue Pinakothek (therefore locally also referred to as Dritte i.e.Third Pinakothek), as well as the Museum Brandhorst, the Antikensammlungen (Collections of Antiques), the Glyptothek, the Stadtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus and the new joint building of the agyptisches Museum and the Hochschule fur Fernsehen und Film, currently both scheduled to open in 2012, it is part of Munich Kunstareal (the art district).
. Linderhof Palace (German Schloss Linderhof) is a Schloss in Germany, in southwest Bavaria near Ettal Abbey.It is the smallest of the three palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria and the only one which he lived to see completed.Ludwig already knew the area around Linderhof from his youth when he had accompanied his father King Maximilian II of Bavaria on his hunting trips in the Bavarian Alps.When Ludwig II became king in 1864 he inherited the so called Konigshauschen from his father, and in 1869 began enlarging the building.In 1874 he decided to tear down the Konigshauschen and rebuild it on its present day location in the park.At the same time three new rooms and the staircase were added to the remaining U shaped complex, and the previous wooden exterior was clad with stone facades.
Olympic Stadium Munich
. Olympiastadion (German pronunciation) is a stadium located in Munich, Germany.Situated at the heart of the Olympiapark Munchen in northern Munich, the stadium was built as the main venue for the 1972 Summer Olympics.With an original capacity of 80,000, the stadium also hosted many major football matches including the 1974 World Cup Final and the Euro 88 Final.It hosted the European Cup Finals of 1979, 1993 and 1997.Its current capacity is 69,250.Until the construction of the Allianz Arena for the 2006 World Cup, the stadium was home to Bayern Munich and TSV 1860 Munich.Designed by the German architect Gunther Behnisch and the engineer Frei Otto, the Olympiastadion was considered[by whom] revolutionary for its time.This included large sweeping canopies of acrylic glass stabilized by steel cables that were used for the first time on a large scale.The idea was to imitate the Alps and to set a counterpart to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, held during the Nazi regime.The sweeping and transparent canopy was to symbolize the new, democratic and optimistic Germany.This is reflected in the official motto The Happy Games (Die Heiteren Spiele).
St Michael Church
. St Michael is a Jesuit church in Munich, southern Germany, the largest Renaissance church north of the Alps.The style of the building had an enormous influence on Southern German early Baroque architecture.he facade is impressive and contains standing statues of Duke Wilhelm and earlier rulers of the Bavarian Wittelsbach dynasty, cast in bronze, in the form of a family tree. Hubert Gerhard large bronze statue between the two entrances shows the Archangel Michael fighting for the Faith and killing the Evil in the shape of a humanoid demon.The interior is a representation of the triumph of Catholicism as true Christianity during the Counter Reformation.The heavily indented chancel arch as well as the short side aisles and even the side chapels are designed as a triumphal arch to ancient model.A very deep choir room adjoins the mighty nave.The stucco decoration of the nave represents the life of Jesus Christ.
. The Schleissheim Palace (German Schloss Schleibheim) actually comprises three palaces in a grand baroque park in the village of Oberschleibheim, a suburb of Munich, Bavaria, Germany.The palace was a summer residence of the Bavarian rulers of the House of Wittelsbach.The rooms were decorated by Peter Candid.Maximilian son and successor Ferdinand Maria died here in 1679.After heavy destruction in the Second World War the palace with its spacious buildings was reconstructed.Most of the stucco decoration of the chapel Wilhelmskapelle has been preserved.The Old Schleissheim Palace houses today two exhibitions, one on religious culture, the other the history of Prussia.The Grand Hall in the middle of the main building today serves as foyer for the museums.
. The Odeonsplatz is a large square in central Munich which was developed in the early 19th century by Leo von Klenze and is at the southern end of the Ludwigstrabe, developed at the same time.The square is named for the former concert hall, the Odeon, on its southwestern side.The name Odeonsplatz has come to be extended to the parvis (forecourt) of the Residenz, in front of the Theatine Church and terminated by the Feldherrnhalle, which lies to the south of it.The square was the scene of a fatal gun battle which ended the march on the Feldherrnhalle during the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.
. Riem Arcaden is located in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.The mall has three floors and has a gross leaseable area of 46,500 sq m. It is the third largest shopping centre in the Munich area after the Olympia Einkaufszentrum and Einkaufs Center Neuperlach pep.Designed by the office of Allmann Sattler Wappner, it is sited on the Willy Brandt Platz in the Messestadt Riem district.The mall opened on 10 March 2004.
. The Prinzregententheater, or Prince Regent Theatre, is a theatre and opera house located at 12 Prinzregentenplatz in the Bavarian city of Munich, Germany.Initiated by Ernst von Possart, the theatre was built in the Prinzregentenstrasse as a festival hall for the operas of Richard Wagner near an area where a similar project of King Ludwig II had failed some decades before.Named after Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria the building was designed by Max Littmann and opened 21 August 1901 with a production of Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg by Richard Wagner.Like the Bayreuth theatre, the auditorium was designed to Wagner specifications, however an amphitheater has replaced the loges.After the destruction of the Nationaltheater during World War II, the Prinzregententheater housed the Bavarian State Opera from 1944 to 1963 even though it also suffered damage during the war which was not repaired until 1958.
Haus der Kunst
. The Haus der Kunst (literally House of Art) is a non collecting art museum in Munich, Germany.It is located at Prinzregentenstrasse 1 at the southern edge of the Englischer Garten, Munich largest park.After the end of World War II, the museum building was first used by the American occupation forces as an officer mess in that time, the building came to be known as the P1, a shortening of its street address.The building original purpose can still be seen in such guises as the swastika motif mosaics in the ceiling panels of its front portico.Beginning in 1946, the museum rooms, now partitioned into several smaller exhibition areas, started to be used as temporary exhibition space for trade shows and visiting art exhibitions.Some parts of the museum were also used to showcase works from those of Munich art galleries that had been destroyed during the war.In 2002, the National Collection of Modern and Contemporary Arts moved into the Pinakothek der Moderne.Today, while housing no permanent art exhibition of its own, the museum is still used as a showcase venue for temporary exhibitions and traveling exhibitions, including Tutankhamun and the Zeit der Staufer and Gilbert and George exhibitions.
. The Cuvillies Theatre (German Cuvillies Theater) or Old Residence Theatre (Altes Residenztheater) is the former court theatre of the Residenz in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.The theatre space is decorated in red and gold.The four floors, each with 14 loges enclose the ground floor in the shape of a horseshoe.Particularly noteworthy is the Electoral loge that stands out about the two middle floors extend, opposite to the stage.It is supported by two atlases, which form the entrance.On the first floor they have caryatids as counterparts.Contemporary society division is reflected in the different features of different ranks The Electoral loge is the artistic center of the room.The adjoining boxes in the first place, which was to be followed by the nobility, after and are richly decorated.This ornament is the second and third rank reduced gradually, where the gentry and the court officials took place.The relatively simply furnished ground floor was reserved for the urban aristocracy.
. The Sendlinger Tor (from German Sendling Gate) is a city gate at the southern extremity of the historic old town area of Munich.It served as a fortification for the defence and is one of Munich three remaining gothic town gates.The Sendlinger Tor (located at Sendlinger Str 49) lies at the southern end of Sendlingerstrasse, the north south highway through Munich old town.Thus separates the Sendlinger Tor of the old city from the Isar suburb.The Sendlinger Tor is at an altitude of 525 metres (1,722 ft) above sea level.